Friday, May 8, 2009

Interview with 2009 Honoree Shirley Cheng


I recently conducted an interview with one of the most amazing women I have had the joy and privilege of meeting. Come to find out, Shirley Cheng is from the same part of the country I grew up in, Upstate, NY.

Shirley has been blessed with the gift of writing and as a blind author, her 4th book Waking Spirit: Prose & Poems the Spirit Sings has been selected to receive this year's Mom's Choice Award. Shirley's company- Dance with Your Heart! Publishing, has produced some amazing pieces and is currently working on publishing Shirley's 9th book. I asked Shirley to share some of her story and here's what we talked about:


Tara: What was the inspiration for your book?

Shirley: The inspiration for my book is life, as for all my other books and projects. Life is the most precious present God has given to each and every one of us. Through my writings, I urge people to recognize and realize the importance and blessing of life, of every minute, of every second, so they can love the lives they live and go for their own gold medals as I have gone for mine despite seemingly insurmountable challenges.

Tara: Life is definitely our greatest teacher and as I've been told more than once, it's not the challenges life hands us as much as how we overcome our many obstacles.

When did you first come up with your idea for Waking Spirit?

Shirley: In October 2006, I suddenly had an urge to write and publish Waking Spirit, which is my fourth book. At that time, I had several short writings I wanted to publish in a book, so I decided to put them in a volume called Waking Spirit, which had been a title I was aching to use for a future book. However, the book would be too short if only comprised of those writings, so I wrote many poems (most of which are haiku) all on the theme of loving life, spirituality, delightful animals and nature wonders.

Tara: Who has been your greatest source of support; why?

Shirley: My greatest source of support comes from two beings: my Heavenly Father, Jehovah God Almighty, and my beloved earthly mother Juliet Cheng. They are the very foundation and light of my life, the ultimate secret to my happiness, strength, and success. They energize me spiritually by providing me with unconditional love to propel me to the greatest heights.

Tara: I couldn't agree with you more. As a parent, one thing I recognize is the importance of a spiritual foundation for children so they are confident enough to navigate through life successfully. It may look different for each person, but it's an important part of a child's core values system.

If you could offer one piece of advice to someone who is thinking of venturing into this line of work, what would it be?

Shirley: When your passion and urge to share with others a piece of your heart, to help them live a more fulfilling life, is unconquerably and undeniably strong then follow your heart's desires to make that positive difference in someone's life through your writings. No one and nothing can hinder you from going for your dreams if you do not let them--only you have the power to stop yourself.

Tara: Absolutely; or whichever form of creativity is your heart's desire.

What has it meant to you personally or to the success of your product to have been honored with a Mom's Choice Award?

Shirley: When people appreciate the fruits of my love, it adds even more bliss to my career. So when I am honored with the Mom's Choice Award for something I love to do, well, it's just like a cherry on top of an ice-cream sundae! Receiving the award for Waking Spirit validates the value of my book and affirms my beliefs and hope in it.

Tara: Well it means a lot for us to have the opportunity to honor inspirational works that will grace the world and impact people's hearts.

What are your future plans; what's next for you as an author?

Shirley: I plan on releasing my ninth book, which is an inspirational book on Christianity that is based on love: love for God, love for fellow creations, and love for life. Afterward, I think I will take a break from writing my own books; I instead will focus on contributing to other people's books (I've contributed to sixteen books thus far), and do more writing for the Internet.

Tara: You are one busy lady and have earned a well deserved break! Keep us posted as you release your next book. We will also see Shirley this month at Book Expo America in NYC so if you see her wheeling around the building or passing by, stop and say hi!

Anything you would like to add?

Shirley: Although I'm blind, I can see far and wide; even though I'm disabled, I can climb high mountains. I let the ropes of hope in Jehovah God haul me high!

Tara: Amen! For more inspiration, please visit http://www.shirleycheng.com where you can contact Shirley for speaking engagements (she's also a motivational speaker), interviews, book signings, and any inspirational events.

Our next interview will be with 2009 Honoree Chariss Walker, author of Make A Joyful Noise.

1 comment:

the little travelers said...

what an inspiration! thanks for the interview.

Alumni Review- Some Babues Are Wild, Marion Dane Bauer

Some Babies Are Wild
Marion Dane Bauer, Author
Stan Tekiela, Photographer
Adventure Publications
820 Cleveland Street S.,
Cambridge, MN,
550089781591930846 $14.95 http://www.adventurepublications.net/

Sara Hassler- Reviewer

Enjoy a stolen moment in nature with little baby animals in Some Babies AreWild. Magical pictorials present individual stories of Mother Nature's youngest creatures caught off guard. Furry paws, fuzzy faces, prickly bodiesand big round eyes consume each spread with their activity, vulnerability and innocence. Author, Marion Dane Bauer's rhythmic text leads readers down a breathtaking nature trail of remarkable photography. Photographer, StanTekiela and his camera has opened an extraordinary window for readers topeer through. The flash of his shutter has captured animals in their private habitats, on their own and with family, in the wild. Readers will delight with the Animal Extras and Did You Know? educational section included in the back of the book. Fun and surprising baby animal facts highlight each animal pictured in the story. Some Babies Are Wild will fill readers with the joy of nature and family. This is a must have book for animal lovers of all ages and children who are interested in wildlife.

Contest Giveaway

Contest Giveaway
To enter to receive your free autographed copy of my book, send me an email at founder@justformom.com. Each month I will select one email at random to receive a copy.

Founder's blog

My photo
A Certified Coach for Parents of Intuitives, Tara Paterson is raising four highly intuitive children with her husband. She is also the co-author of the book- Raising Intuitive Children, a syndicated columnist, parent advisor, and author of 100 plus parenting and spiritual articles. In 2004, she launched Moms In Print, a publishing company that assists “mom” authors. The following year, she created the Mom’s Choice Awards®, which assists mothers in selecting products and services for their families.

Paterson has appeared on CBS 48 Hours, the Today Show with Katie Couric, CNN with Anderson Cooper, the Early Show, and she is the founder and spokesperson for the Mom’s Choice Awards and an expert blogger for the Partnership for a Drug Free America.

She has been featured in the Washington Post, Newsweek, the Loudoun Magazine and quoted in the USA Today and Parenting Magazine. She has also been interviewed on several radio programs and has appeared as a spokeswoman on several national TV affiliates across the country.