Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Interview with Book Author- Donna Seim of WHERE IS SIMON, SANDY?


I recently conducted an interview with 2009 Mom's Choice Award's honoree Donna Marie Seim. Donna's book, WHERE IS SIMON, SANDY? received a gold award in the children's book category- Peoples, Places and Cultures.

Donna began her business career with the Dragon’s Nest Toy Store, a specialty toy store in Newburyport MA where she resides today, with her husband 27 years ago. The store is now owned and operated by her daughter Kristin, and when Donna is not traveling to promote her book, she works at the store with her daughter. I asked Donna a few questions about her book and here is what she had to say.

Tara:What was the inspiration for your writing?

Donna: I came from a large Irish American family and had the fun of growing up with lots of cousins, loving parents and grandparents, whose doors and arms were always open to us kids. Our holidays and Sunday’s were filled with our families getting together; people were always around and so were their stories!

My daughter Kristin pushed me to write down some of my stories. My first book was dedicated to my Kristin and it was at this point that I decided to take up writing as my second career.

Tara: When did you first come up with the idea for your book?

Donna: My husband and I took a trip to visit two of the undeveloped islands in the Turks and Caicos Islands. During the trip we were told many stories, one of which was the story of a little donkey that wouldn’t quit. This is the true tale of a donkey that continued to walk his route delivering water to every gate in town, even when his master was no longer able. I was so touched by the faithful little donkey that I decided to mold it into a children’s story, happy ending and all!

Tara: What a great source of inspiration for a children's book!

Did you have an aha moment; was it inspired by something you were doing or someplace you were visiting; a person in your life?

Donna: To answer honestly, I must admit I have experienced many aha moments; I think my life has been a series of them! But the most poignant of these was the very first time I read, “Where is Simon, Sandy?” to primary school children in the Turks and Caicos. The intensity of their faces as the story opens and their smiles and applause at the end, were the most rewarding gifts I could ever receive. I knew this was what I wanted to do forever.

Tara: Children have such a way of bringing out the purest of joy from our hearts, don't they?

Who would you say has been your greatest source of support; why?

Donna: I have a tremendously supportive team to work with, but the greatest of these is my husband, Martin. Without his encouragement and true delight in my stories I don’t think I could have accomplished half as much as I have. He has been my greatest source of moral support and a willing travel companion to the islands and places of research. He is also a superb photographer, a kind adviser, a consoler, a listener, a cheer leader, a savior of unfortunate events, and my dedicated copy editor!

Tara: Donna, you are blessed to have such an amazing husband who has supported you through the many ups and downs that can come up when you're following your passion.

If you could offer one piece of advice to someone who is thinking of venturing into this line of work, what would it be?

Donna: My one piece of advice would be- Be true to yourself and write about what you know and love.

Tara: Well put. If that isn't sage advice, I don't know what is!

What has it meant to you personally or to the success of your product to have been honored with a Mom’s Choice Award?

Donna: When I learned WHERE IS SIMON, SANDY? had been awarded The Mom’s Choice Award, Gold, for the category of Peoples, Places and Cultures, I felt a great surge of pride in my work. It meant a tremendous amount to have my work validated by the Mom’s Choice stamp of approval, for excellence in children’s media. The Turks and Caicos National Museum as well as our publisher here in the states, Publishing Works, have taken great pride in the award, sending out press releases and publicizing the fact we have won this grand award.

Tara: Donna, I am honored you feel so strongly about our award. It was the reason I began this program- to bring works to the forefront which may otherwise not be recognized. I love to hear these stories!!

What are your future plans; what’s next for you as a writer?

Donna: I plan to continue promoting, WHERE IS SIMON, SANDY? which will raise money for the children’s programme of the Turks and Caicos National Museum. I have many planned events coming up this spring and summer for, WHERE IS SIMON, SANDY? as well.

I have just finished my second novel for children ages 8-12 entitled, CHARLEY, and will be busy marketing it to publishing houses. I guess writing for children is my future plan!

Tara: Anything you would like to add?

Donna: I would like to thank David Bowen, Director of Culture of the Turks and Caicos Islands, for all of his incredible help and support. He is now writing a musical play based on the story, for the children of the primary schools to perform. I would also like to thank Susan Spellman, our illustrator extraordinaire, who captured the people, the vibrant colors, and the essence of these beautiful islands.

It has been an enormous honor to win a Mom’s Choice Awards', Gold! Thank you!

It's our honor and privilege Donna! We appreciate your work and look forward to what you have coming out next!

Watch for our next interview with 2009 Honoree- Shirley Cheng, author of Waking Spirit, Prose and Poems the Spirit Sings.

No comments:

Alumni Review- Some Babues Are Wild, Marion Dane Bauer

Some Babies Are Wild
Marion Dane Bauer, Author
Stan Tekiela, Photographer
Adventure Publications
820 Cleveland Street S.,
Cambridge, MN,
550089781591930846 $14.95 http://www.adventurepublications.net/

Sara Hassler- Reviewer

Enjoy a stolen moment in nature with little baby animals in Some Babies AreWild. Magical pictorials present individual stories of Mother Nature's youngest creatures caught off guard. Furry paws, fuzzy faces, prickly bodiesand big round eyes consume each spread with their activity, vulnerability and innocence. Author, Marion Dane Bauer's rhythmic text leads readers down a breathtaking nature trail of remarkable photography. Photographer, StanTekiela and his camera has opened an extraordinary window for readers topeer through. The flash of his shutter has captured animals in their private habitats, on their own and with family, in the wild. Readers will delight with the Animal Extras and Did You Know? educational section included in the back of the book. Fun and surprising baby animal facts highlight each animal pictured in the story. Some Babies Are Wild will fill readers with the joy of nature and family. This is a must have book for animal lovers of all ages and children who are interested in wildlife.

Contest Giveaway

Contest Giveaway
To enter to receive your free autographed copy of my book, send me an email at founder@justformom.com. Each month I will select one email at random to receive a copy.

Founder's blog

My photo
A Certified Coach for Parents of Intuitives, Tara Paterson is raising four highly intuitive children with her husband. She is also the co-author of the book- Raising Intuitive Children, a syndicated columnist, parent advisor, and author of 100 plus parenting and spiritual articles. In 2004, she launched Moms In Print, a publishing company that assists “mom” authors. The following year, she created the Mom’s Choice Awards®, which assists mothers in selecting products and services for their families.

Paterson has appeared on CBS 48 Hours, the Today Show with Katie Couric, CNN with Anderson Cooper, the Early Show, and she is the founder and spokesperson for the Mom’s Choice Awards and an expert blogger for the Partnership for a Drug Free America.

She has been featured in the Washington Post, Newsweek, the Loudoun Magazine and quoted in the USA Today and Parenting Magazine. She has also been interviewed on several radio programs and has appeared as a spokeswoman on several national TV affiliates across the country.