Friday, May 15, 2009

2009 Honoree Interview with Joanne King


I had another special opportunity to interview Joanne King, creator of the Answers CD ROM, a guided journal from parents to their children. Joanne's company is Besoga Dreams, LLC located in Lutz, Florida (a lot of floridians in these interviews...LOL).

Joanne has three beautiful, bright girls; Isabella 7, Sophia 4, Gabriella 4 and a wonderful, caring husband Michael. Her husband Michael, is an accomplished artist who creates home décor artwork, which is transformed into print form and is sold in fine home stores both nationally and internationally. I love when I have the opportunity to connect with bonded families such as these and here is where our conversation took us.

Tara: What was the inspiration for your CD- Answers?

Joanne: Once I had children, my entire life changed. I realized the tremendous responsibility being a parent brings into our life. Nothing could have prepared me for the depth of unconditional love that would fill my heart. I became so aware of how important my role was going to be in shaping these amazing girls, into the women they would one day become. I knew it wouldn’t be enough to just hope I would always be there throughout their lives. I had to be sure I would. That’s when I took writing personal journals to the next level, by creating Answers.

Tara: Your words touch my heart. I could not be more aligned with your parenting method... thank you for your intuitive awareness.

When did you first come up with your idea?

Joanne: I came up with the idea soon after my first daughter Isabella was born. She is seven years old.

Tara: Wow, sounds very similar to my experience. I really began to reflect after the birth of my oldest son too.

So would you say you had an aha moment; something you were doing or someplace you were visiting; a person in your life?

Joanne: I absolutely had an “aha” moment. I had the idea for Answers for several years. I did a charity walk-on role for NBC’s SCRUBS. I spent the day with Angela Nissel, who is the head writer for the TV show. After I became comfortable with her, I told her my idea for Answers. She looked at me and said, “That’s a good one”. That was my first boost of confidence to believe in my idea.

I started writing an outline, but I was very busy being a new mom to our identical twins. Then the next “aha” moment made me stop and get busy. My husband had a high school friend, whose wife died suddenly. She had asked her older son to drive their car around and pick her up. The older son allowed the youngest son to drive the car. He ran over his mother and she died. After I heard that story, I cried for a long time. I didn’t know that woman, but I felt responsible for not making Answers available sooner. All I could think was how would that little boy ever know how much his mother loved him? If she could talk to him, she would probably want to fill his heart with all things I had planned to have in Answers. I knew I needed to be committed, so I could give other children the opportunity to never be left without their parent’s unconditional love and guidance.

Tara: Joanne, your story is so touching. I always marvel at how people come to their creative place. One of the main reasons for the Mom's Choice Awards' was to give stories like this their proper place among the other products out there. A place for heartfelt stories to be showcased. This is certainly one of the most amazing!

Who is your greatest source of support; why?

Joanne: My greatest source of support is God. He inspires me to write and to keep trying. God has helped me through the darkest moments of paralysis and brought me to incredibly lighter moments of love and family. Without a doubt, He has been there to hold me and inspire me to help others through Answers.

It is only fair to also mention my husband. Without his help, Answers would still be an idea in my mind. He has been there every step of the way, by helping with our children, our home and boosting my confidence. I am extremely blessed to have such a caring man by my side.

Tara: Amen sister! In my book, my dedication is to my husband for standing by me; to be strong and yet sensitive enough to allow my light to shine. It's so nice to see more men becoming comfortable in their sensitive role... attractive too :o)

If you could offer one piece of advice to someone who is thinking of venturing into this line of work, what would it be?

Joanne: It takes commitment. Not just a commitment to the idea, but a commitment to your belief, your idea’s success. The road to public awareness is like planting a tree. As it grows, you travel down new creative branches of inspiration. There are so many different avenues to explore. You grow and learn, just as the tree grows. Through each venture you learn more about yourself and this industry. A tree doesn’t grow overnight. It takes a while. It needs care, but it can weather a storm and the winter, until it reaches the spring! The same is true with writing, believe, learn and be patient.

Tara: Excellent advice and a great metaphor.

What has it meant to you personally or to the success of your product to have been honored with a Mom’s Choice Award?

Joanne: A Mom’s Choice Award is a tremendous honor. There are a lot of closed doors in this industry. It is wonderful to have a product you believe in, but it’s not enough. The Mom’s Choice Awards gave me inspiration. They gave me opportunity to join the IBPA, to receive a Dove Foundation’s seal of approval and tons of marketing opportunities. They offered a belief in what I had created. Those are priceless gifts to an author.

Tara: Stories like these are the one's that should be recognized. Let's face it, there is a lot of garbage out there that receives tons of exposure because someone has money to buy it. I believe the future of all business will be based on the heart that drives it, not money. (my soap box anyway :o)

What are your future plans; what’s next for you as an author/ creator?

Joanne: We are still knocking on doors and trying to make Answers a household name. As soon as people hear about Answers, they love the idea. There are many parents out there that need Answers, not only for their children’s future, but as a comfort though illness. Our goal is to continue to try to make people aware of that Answers is available and to give parents the opportunity to always be by their child’s side.

Tara: Anything you would like to add?

Joanne: I would love to add that EVERYONE at the Mom’s Choice Awards have been wonderful! They are always bright, energetic and eager to help in any way they can. It is greatly appreciated and noticed!
Thank you so much for this award and your ongoing effort to help your recipients shine!

Thank you Joanne! Visit Joanne's web site- http://www.joannecking.com for more information about her Answers CD ROM.

Join us next time for an interview with author Bonnie Wayne.

No comments:

Alumni Review- Some Babues Are Wild, Marion Dane Bauer

Some Babies Are Wild
Marion Dane Bauer, Author
Stan Tekiela, Photographer
Adventure Publications
820 Cleveland Street S.,
Cambridge, MN,
550089781591930846 $14.95 http://www.adventurepublications.net/

Sara Hassler- Reviewer

Enjoy a stolen moment in nature with little baby animals in Some Babies AreWild. Magical pictorials present individual stories of Mother Nature's youngest creatures caught off guard. Furry paws, fuzzy faces, prickly bodiesand big round eyes consume each spread with their activity, vulnerability and innocence. Author, Marion Dane Bauer's rhythmic text leads readers down a breathtaking nature trail of remarkable photography. Photographer, StanTekiela and his camera has opened an extraordinary window for readers topeer through. The flash of his shutter has captured animals in their private habitats, on their own and with family, in the wild. Readers will delight with the Animal Extras and Did You Know? educational section included in the back of the book. Fun and surprising baby animal facts highlight each animal pictured in the story. Some Babies Are Wild will fill readers with the joy of nature and family. This is a must have book for animal lovers of all ages and children who are interested in wildlife.

Contest Giveaway

Contest Giveaway
To enter to receive your free autographed copy of my book, send me an email at founder@justformom.com. Each month I will select one email at random to receive a copy.

Founder's blog

My photo
A Certified Coach for Parents of Intuitives, Tara Paterson is raising four highly intuitive children with her husband. She is also the co-author of the book- Raising Intuitive Children, a syndicated columnist, parent advisor, and author of 100 plus parenting and spiritual articles. In 2004, she launched Moms In Print, a publishing company that assists “mom” authors. The following year, she created the Mom’s Choice Awards®, which assists mothers in selecting products and services for their families.

Paterson has appeared on CBS 48 Hours, the Today Show with Katie Couric, CNN with Anderson Cooper, the Early Show, and she is the founder and spokesperson for the Mom’s Choice Awards and an expert blogger for the Partnership for a Drug Free America.

She has been featured in the Washington Post, Newsweek, the Loudoun Magazine and quoted in the USA Today and Parenting Magazine. She has also been interviewed on several radio programs and has appeared as a spokeswoman on several national TV affiliates across the country.