Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Interview with 2009 Honoree Susan Heim


I recently interviewed 2009 Mom's Choice honoree Susan Heim, author of Boosting Your Baby’s Brain Power. Susan is an author and editor and resides in Florida with her husband Mike and four sons (whew..I have four, but I always said if I had more than my two oldest boys I would have had to reconsider...LOL).

Her oldest son is a college student with a high school student following closely behind, but imagine this- twin kindergartners!! Wow Susan, how do you do it? I had an opportunity to ask Susan some questions, and here is what she had to say.

Tara: What was the inspiration for your book?

Susan: Like most “mom authors,” I’d have to say that my children were the inspiration for this book and all the parenting books I write. To watch their intelligence and talents develop and blossom is utterly fascinating. And I love to share these wonders with other parents.

Tara: Susan, I can totally relate. My parenting book is based on my journey with my children too. It is SO fascinating to take the knowledge they teach us and turn it into guidance for others.

When would you say you first came up with your idea?

Susan: In 2007, Holly Engel-Smothers – an educator, mother of twins and contributor to some of my books – contacted me with an idea about doing a book about baby brain development for parents. She had noticed in the course of her research that most books of this kind were for educators and medical professionals, so we teamed up to write a book for parents.

Tara: Something else we share in common. It's wonderful when you can relate so closely with another person that the knowledge you share becomes twice as impactful.

Did you have an aha moment; was it inspired by something you were doing or someplace you were visiting; a person in your life?

Susan: When Holly and I started taking a closer look at intelligence in children, we were astounded at the complexity of a baby’s brain. We just knew that most people didn’t know, for example, that all the neurons in a baby’s brain would stretch for 62,000 miles if placed end-to-end. Or that parents can play an important role in helping those neurons to connect for optimum brain function. We became inspired to get that crucial information out to parents.

Tara: Ah, ho. What an amazing discovery for you to share with other parents. When I took my infant daughter for a well check up, I asked our doctor when he started babies on food. Our doctor is a holistic practitioner and shared that the way he was going to have us introduce foods to her would be different than most. We are not going to use cereals and will begin by introducing the bitter vegtables. The reason for this is the imprint it will have on her brain. When parents start with sweeter fruits and vegtables it sends messages to the brain that can later translate to impulses for sugar...

Who is your greatest source of support; why?

Susan: My faith is my greatest source of support and strength. The more I turn my worries and fears over to God, the more open doors I find.

Tara: Wonderful how when we get out of the way, things become more clear and effortless.

If you could offer one piece of advice to someone who is thinking of venturing into this line of work, what would it be?

Susan: Be persistent. If you want to be a writer, you’ll face a lot of rejection. Develop a tough skin and keep going. The first Chicken Soup for the Soul book was rejected by more than 40 publishers, and it’s now a worldwide sensation because the authors believed in their product and didn’t give up.

Tara: I believe when you work from your heart, it will happen regardless of what the outside world says.

What has it meant to you personally or to the success of your product to have been honored with a Mom’s Choice Award?

Susan: Mom’s Choice Awards are the best-known and most reputable awards in the parenting field. I proudly display these awards on my books. It gives them distinction as high-quality and valuable resources for parents.

Tara: Love to hear that :o)

What are your future plans; what’s next for you as an author?

Susan: As an author, I will continue to write more books! In early 2009, my book, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Twins and More, was published. This fall, Chicken Soup for the Soul: All in the Family and Moms of Multiples’ Devotions to Go will be coming out. I’m very excited about these new projects!

Tara: Congratulations, we will definitely have to keep an eye out for your upcoming Chicken Soup books.

Anything you would like to add?

Susan: Please visit my blog, Susan Heim on Parenting, at http://susanheim.blogspot.com, where I share parenting advice, product reviews and giveaways!

Thanks Susan and good luck with all of your future endeavors!

Stay tuned as we talk next time with author Joanne King.

No comments:

Alumni Review- Some Babues Are Wild, Marion Dane Bauer

Some Babies Are Wild
Marion Dane Bauer, Author
Stan Tekiela, Photographer
Adventure Publications
820 Cleveland Street S.,
Cambridge, MN,
550089781591930846 $14.95 http://www.adventurepublications.net/

Sara Hassler- Reviewer

Enjoy a stolen moment in nature with little baby animals in Some Babies AreWild. Magical pictorials present individual stories of Mother Nature's youngest creatures caught off guard. Furry paws, fuzzy faces, prickly bodiesand big round eyes consume each spread with their activity, vulnerability and innocence. Author, Marion Dane Bauer's rhythmic text leads readers down a breathtaking nature trail of remarkable photography. Photographer, StanTekiela and his camera has opened an extraordinary window for readers topeer through. The flash of his shutter has captured animals in their private habitats, on their own and with family, in the wild. Readers will delight with the Animal Extras and Did You Know? educational section included in the back of the book. Fun and surprising baby animal facts highlight each animal pictured in the story. Some Babies Are Wild will fill readers with the joy of nature and family. This is a must have book for animal lovers of all ages and children who are interested in wildlife.

Contest Giveaway

Contest Giveaway
To enter to receive your free autographed copy of my book, send me an email at founder@justformom.com. Each month I will select one email at random to receive a copy.

Founder's blog

My photo
A Certified Coach for Parents of Intuitives, Tara Paterson is raising four highly intuitive children with her husband. She is also the co-author of the book- Raising Intuitive Children, a syndicated columnist, parent advisor, and author of 100 plus parenting and spiritual articles. In 2004, she launched Moms In Print, a publishing company that assists “mom” authors. The following year, she created the Mom’s Choice Awards®, which assists mothers in selecting products and services for their families.

Paterson has appeared on CBS 48 Hours, the Today Show with Katie Couric, CNN with Anderson Cooper, the Early Show, and she is the founder and spokesperson for the Mom’s Choice Awards and an expert blogger for the Partnership for a Drug Free America.

She has been featured in the Washington Post, Newsweek, the Loudoun Magazine and quoted in the USA Today and Parenting Magazine. She has also been interviewed on several radio programs and has appeared as a spokeswoman on several national TV affiliates across the country.