Sunday, May 10, 2009

Interview with 2009 Honoree Chariss Walker


This past week I had the privilege of interviewing Chariss Walker, author of the book- Make a Joyful Noise: Searching for a Spiritual Path in a Material World.

Chariss' business is Chariss Walker Ministries, LLC, an outreach program for spiritual growth located in Navarre, FL. Chariss is a single grandmother and cares for her nine year old granddaughter, Vivien, who has lived with her for the past 4 years. I asked Chariss to share a little about what inspired her to write her book and here's what she had to say.

Tara: What was the inspiration for your book?

Chariss: I wanted to connect the dots between the idea of “being more spiritual than religious” and show that we are all saying the same thing; that it's the terminology that is different.

Tara: When did you first come up with your idea?

Chariss: It is something I have been working toward for the last six years, but it sprang forth as a new and living presence in my life demanding to be born about two years ago.

Tara: I love how we contemplate ideas and then suddenly realize it's time to do something with the creativity.

Did you have an aha moment; was it inspired by something you were doing or someplace you were visiting; a person in your life?

Chariss: Yes, I was watching an Oprah show. She was presenting some of the speakers from The Secret. I felt that it needed explanation – that the world needed to understand it is not really a secret. It has been with us since the beginning of time and is in the bible if we only know where to look.

Tara: Probably something we could spend hours talking about, but given our limited time, who would you say has been your greatest source of support; why?

Chariss: Vivien, my granddaughter, because each day I get to witness the love of God in her. She is such an inspiration to have overcome so much and be such a lovely, little person. It lets me know there is hope for everyone.

Tara: Kids truly are the light of the planet and are here to teach us so much.

If you could offer one piece of advice to someone who is thinking of venturing into this line of work, what would it be?

Chariss: Love yourself, love your message and then write about it.

Tara: Absolutely, or whichever creative form feels right to your individual spirit.

What has it meant to you personally or to the success of your product to have been honored with a Mom’s Choice Award?

Chariss: As a self-assisted author, meaning that I am the writer but I hired publishers for my book, the Mom’s Choice Award lends certain credibility to my work. The world still believes that if you are not picked up by a major brick and mortar publisher that your book has no value. I had to believe in my message and gather up the nerve to go it alone. Having a gold seal on my book is totally awesome, believe me!

Tara: What are your future plans; what’s next for you as a writer?

Chariss: To write more books! Yes! I have two more in mind that go along with this particular book, Make a Joyful Noise, but I also have some ideas for ’tweens (ages 9 to 12) books and perhaps a novel or two. I hope to find an editor or publisher who will pick me up and realizes the value of my experience.

Tara: Anything you would like to add?

Chariss: Yes, I love my life. I love writing and being able to share my message with millions around the world. It is so important to share what we have learned; in the process of that perhaps we save someone else a few steps. In this electronic age, we are growing – expanding our minds and learning at an astonishing rate, we are learning from the past and from others experiences. It is truly a blessing to be part of that.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. As an author myself, I understand the privilege of sharing your work with people all over the globe and technology sure does help out a lot! Good luck to your Chariss and perhaps we will see you at BEA!

Stay tuned for my next interview with Susan Heim, author of Boosting Your Baby's Brain Power.

No comments:

Alumni Review- Some Babues Are Wild, Marion Dane Bauer

Some Babies Are Wild
Marion Dane Bauer, Author
Stan Tekiela, Photographer
Adventure Publications
820 Cleveland Street S.,
Cambridge, MN,
550089781591930846 $14.95 http://www.adventurepublications.net/

Sara Hassler- Reviewer

Enjoy a stolen moment in nature with little baby animals in Some Babies AreWild. Magical pictorials present individual stories of Mother Nature's youngest creatures caught off guard. Furry paws, fuzzy faces, prickly bodiesand big round eyes consume each spread with their activity, vulnerability and innocence. Author, Marion Dane Bauer's rhythmic text leads readers down a breathtaking nature trail of remarkable photography. Photographer, StanTekiela and his camera has opened an extraordinary window for readers topeer through. The flash of his shutter has captured animals in their private habitats, on their own and with family, in the wild. Readers will delight with the Animal Extras and Did You Know? educational section included in the back of the book. Fun and surprising baby animal facts highlight each animal pictured in the story. Some Babies Are Wild will fill readers with the joy of nature and family. This is a must have book for animal lovers of all ages and children who are interested in wildlife.

Contest Giveaway

Contest Giveaway
To enter to receive your free autographed copy of my book, send me an email at founder@justformom.com. Each month I will select one email at random to receive a copy.

Founder's blog

My photo
A Certified Coach for Parents of Intuitives, Tara Paterson is raising four highly intuitive children with her husband. She is also the co-author of the book- Raising Intuitive Children, a syndicated columnist, parent advisor, and author of 100 plus parenting and spiritual articles. In 2004, she launched Moms In Print, a publishing company that assists “mom” authors. The following year, she created the Mom’s Choice Awards®, which assists mothers in selecting products and services for their families.

Paterson has appeared on CBS 48 Hours, the Today Show with Katie Couric, CNN with Anderson Cooper, the Early Show, and she is the founder and spokesperson for the Mom’s Choice Awards and an expert blogger for the Partnership for a Drug Free America.

She has been featured in the Washington Post, Newsweek, the Loudoun Magazine and quoted in the USA Today and Parenting Magazine. She has also been interviewed on several radio programs and has appeared as a spokeswoman on several national TV affiliates across the country.